Skip to content

Scouts Expedition Challenge

Date: 3rd Jan 2021 Author: Cathy Mollart

Nine Scouts undertook the two-day expedition. The first day started and ended at Inglesham, walking to Snowswick, Buscot and Lechlade and then following the Thames Path back to Inglesham.

Checking the navigation

The first section was difficult navigation, so we spent a lot of time trying to teach the Scouts about compass bearings.

They arrived at Snowswick about an hour later than planned with the leaders pleased they had been able to take time to teach the youngsters, and hoping it didn’t go in one ear and out the other!

The Scouts then made good time for the rest of their hike. They stopped to cook a hot lunch in Buscot before continuing their journey. Much of the day was cloudy with the occasional light rain until about 3:15pm when the Scouts arrived at the penultimate check point, St Johns Church, Inglesham.

The heavens opened just as they were getting their waterproofs on.

Some of the Scouts had a whale of a time being big kids and checking whether puddles were too deep to walk through.

End of day 1 and still able to smile

The second day of their hike went from Inglesham back to Highworth via Hannington, a shorter walk today and generally much nicer weather.

The leaders checked how much the Scouts had learned the day before, giving each an individual navigation task to complete. For today’s hike the Scouts were split into two groups, and each set off for the day. The Scouts did this 2nd day completely on their own, working well in their teams and achieving their goals and learning valuable lessons. When they went wrong, they knew where they were and (mostly) knew where they were heading for. Both teams made excellent time and the leaders met them in Pentylands park just as the heavens opened again. After heading inside, there was time for a little more tuition before sending the Scouts home an hour earlier than expected.

The leaders are extremely proud of all the Scouts and what they achieved during their 2 day, 24km expedition. They started the weekend unaware that they were going to be on their own (no leaders), so it was a little surprise for them.  Feedback has been positive, for example one Scout “had great fun and despite the challenging mud and weather couldn’t wait to tell her friends that she had completed the challenge”.

Here’s to the next one. Hopefully the weather will be kinder.

Put your phone down and what are you left with? Just teamwork, courage and the skills to succeed.’
Bear Grylls, Chief Scout Bear Grylls